Friday, July 24, 2009

Here We Go...

Several of my friends and one of my cousins have became "bloggers" now...so I thought "Why Not?" This way my friends and family back in NW TN can keep up with what is going on in the "World of Wendy"....if they want of course. This isn't going to be a blog devoted to one topic, but every topic that comes to my ADHD little mind so get ready to hold on to your seat...I'm just kidding...I doubt it will be that exciting, but I am sure some laughs will be had by those reading when they realize how clumsy and tangent I can be!

So let's see...what's going on in the "World of Wendy" right now??? Cattle Shows!! Yep, that's right...I have managed to meet a guy that too loves to show cattle. Of course, they aren't the right kind of cattle! ha! As you have probably already read, I was born and raised on a dairy farm in NW TN....my brother, Matt, and I grew up showing Holsteins around the state from the moment we could through 4-H. So, since I couldn't find a guy that showed dairy, I have settled for the next best thing I guess...a guy that raises and shows beef! It is a constant disagreement in our relationship...I simply say they cheat! Some of the showing criteria are the same...you trim hooves, wash your show line and they even get a "hair cut." When showing dairy we were required to wear all white, walk backwards, and always use a show halter. The "beef" people (and I use the term with no disrespect) can wear jeans, walk forwards, show in rope halters (depending on the show of course), use a show stick (to scratch the cattle's bellies) and "fit" them....or as I like to say make them look like cotton balls! ha! I have only been to 4 shows so far this show season, but have met some really great friends already and am starting to pick up on the different ways that the breeds show dependent upon their individual associations.

The first show I went to was McMinnville back in the Spring...kind of a "warm up" show if you want to call it that....then there was the 1st county show at the Dekalb County Fair on Monday, July 20th. Davy did well and took home Grand Champion Heifer and Bull...or as known by me...Missy May and Mighty Joe. Then on Tuesday night we headed to Shelbyville for the Bedford County Show....a repeat...taking home Grand Champion on both again...it was a good night again...but a long one!



Davy in the ring @ for Supreme Champion Heifer


Thursday I took a "Me" day off of work to go to the Overton County Fair in Livingston. Davy, Dianne (Davy's Mom) and I left out a bit after 9am and headed to the show. Got there in pretty good time and got pick of spots since we were the 2nd ones in the barn! The rest of the Cannon/Warren County bunch showed up shortly after...Triple T Brangus which is Lee Alan, Terri and John Turner (Little John was at 4-H Roundup) and Mr. David Parker and the boys.


One of my favorite things about showing was Showmanship. This is a class where you are being judged on how you handle yourself and your animal. AJ Daniel showed in the Jr High Division on this night...he didn't win....but he did really well...and had some pretty good coaches I think!















When all was said and done at the end of the evening...Davy had won first in both his classes and took home Grand Champion Heifer for the 3rd time! Well...I guess that enough for showing for the evening...if anyone is looking for a fair or livestock show in your area...just visit http://www.picktnproducts.org/ and hopefully you'll find one pretty close!!

No comments:

Post a Comment